Saturday, July 27, 2013

Math Facts Sale!

At my school, the first couple weeks of 2nd grade math always start with math fact fluency.  We teach strategies like doubles, making ten, and fact families to help students recall basic addition and subtraction facts quickly. We soon have to move on to place value, so there is never enough time for students to memorize all of their basic facts in a couple short weeks.

Students still have to memorize their math facts, so we continue to practice fluency throughout the school year.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays my kids LOVE the start of math, because they get to take timed math fact tests.  My kids are very good at reminding me when it's math fact day!

Students try to answer 39 facts in a minute and a half or less.  I let them choose which fact they want to test on.  Once a student masters a math fact they get to move on to another one. 

I also gave my kids treasure box last year for every fact they mastered.  This became a little overwhelming and expensive...so I think I'm going to give students a Texas Department of Mathematics Driver License as an inventive this coming school year.  A 3rd grade teacher at my school did this with multiplication facts last year. I think it's a really cute idea!  Teach it Now! even has license you can print out!

If you would like to purchase the math fact tests I made for my students, you can get a set or two at my TPT Store for $3.00 each.  Hurry, they're 50% off for a limited time!!! Yay!  :)   

  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment